Home

LED Lighting Advantages and Disadvantages

LED lighting is not a new technology; In fact, he’s been working with us since 1960. LED bulbs were originally used to replace incandescent bulbs and displays in laboratory equipment and eventually in televisions, watches, radios and calculators. The prices of LEDs have only recently fallen enough to make them viable for the housing and commercial market. LED home lighting can be anything from street lighting to Christmas lights. With the looming energy crisis in South Africa and pressure on governments and businesses to make more sustainable energy solutions, LED bulbs have a bright future in space lighting.

The main benefits of using LED bulbs

First of all, LED lights are much more efficient than any other alternative lighting sources currently available on the market. LED bulbs have a lifespan of 100,000 hours and last 11 years with continuous use or 22 years when working at 50%. Compare this to the estimated lifespan of 5,000 hours for an incandescent bulb and 10,000 hours for a fluorescent lamp. Many companies find the life of LED bulbs very attractive – imagine that signs in a commercial building are replaced only once every 11 years. In the case of incandescent and fluorescent bulbs, the actual cost of the lamp should include the labor costs and time it takes to replace them. LED bulbs virtually eliminate the cost of lighting maintenance.

The second important advantage and advantage of using LED lighting over conventional lighting is low power consumption. An LED lamp is capable of converting 80% of the electricity consumed into light energy. The remaining 20% of electricity is lost in the form of thermal energy. Incandescent bulbs convert only 20% of the electricity used into actual light energy, which means that up to 80% of electricity is lost in the form of thermal energy. If you compare the efficiency of 80% of LED bulbs  with the efficiency of 20% incandescent bulbs, the best choice would be a bright enough lamp. Light.

The main drawbacks of using LED bulbs

The main limitation is the current high cost of LED bulbs. While the cost of LED bulbs in South Africa is steadily declining, replacing an incandescent bulb with a capacity of 100 watt another LED can cost about 5,000 rand. The cost of starting may seem discouraging, but LED bulbs pay off over time as they last up to 11 years and save a lot of money in terms of electricity consumption. For businesses, the use of LED lighting makes a lot of sense because lower maintenance costs more than outweigh the high initial costs.

This is what big companies do.

Several leading companies and hotels in South Africa, such as Woolworths, CFC, Sasol, Caltex, Protea Hotel Group and Ster Kinekor, are currently using LED lighting solutions. LED lighting is used from step lighting, linear lighting, wall lighting and signage lighting to color-changing cash registers and controls, architectural lighting and freezer lighting. These companies have recognized LEDs as the preferred light solution of the future. As the initial cost of LED bulbs plummets, more and more companies will follow these business leaders and discover a painless lighting solution that will last ten years and save money.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.